Buy the Book:
Barnes & Noble
How to Order
by Gail Gibbons
Gail Gibbons, Illustrator
Paperback | 32 pages | 10 x 10 | US$ 7.99
ISBN: 9780823414086 |
Also available as an ebook.
Grade: FIRST | Age: 4 to 8
Recommendations: A, BL, E, H, R, SLJ, WC
SL.3.1, 1c, 1d, 2, 3, 4, 6
W.3.2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10
RI.3.1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10
L.3.3, 4, 4a, 4b, 4c, 4d, 5, 5b, 6
RF.3.3, 3a, 3b, 3c, 3d, 3d, 4, 4a, 4c
Gail Gibbons, the master of preschool nonfiction, tackles bicycles in this bright, informative picture book originally published in 1995 to glowing reviews.
In her signature style, Gail presents a history of bicycles, along with information on how they work, different types of bikes, and ways they are used. Safety tips for bike riders are included.
"Gibbons is a master at creating factual books through which young readers can explore detials of nature at an accessible and engaging depth."—Booklist
BICYCLE BOOK is perfect for classrooms in need of STEM titles.
- The Next Generation Science Standards include an engineering design focus in grades one through five.
- Bicycles reduce air pollution and road congesting, and the exercise component is an important key for healthy lifestyles in today's world.
- Statistics show 34% of Americans rode bicycles in the past year and bicycle riding is the second most popular outdoor activity in the U.S. behind running/jogging. (U.S. Bicycling Participation Benchmarking Study Report, March 2015)
THE REVIEWS ARE IN!
"A winning choice."—School Library Journal
"Gibbons introduces the bicycle: its history, design, care, types, uses, and safety rules. Large, clear ink drawings with colorful washes and shading illustrate this satisfying book."—Booklist
A Book Links Best Book of the Year
Classroom Discussion Questions with CCSS:
After reading/listening to Bicycle Book by Gail Gibbons . . .
1. Create a timeline of the history of the bicycle. RI.2-3.1
2. Describe how and why bicycles have changed over time. RI.2-3.3
3. Create a list of types of bicycles from the past and present. RI.2-3.1, 4
4. Plan and design a bicycle of the future. Label it. W.2-3.7, 8, 10
5. Research the technologies and innovations that were necessary for the invention of the bicycle. W.2-3.7, 8, 10
6. Discuss how bicycles are used. SL.3-4.1
7. Write a Bicycle Care and Safety brochure. RI.3-4.1/W.3-4.4, 10